competitive edge


"so what is the solution? Do as the duckling does. Go ahead, struggle through it. Pick up the pen already, put it to the page and stop whining. Write. Dancers.. tie the ribbons in your hair,at your waist, or on your ankles and tell the body to take it from there. Dance. Generally just stop talking.Shut yourself into a room with a ceiling or in a clearing under the sky. Do your art. Generally, a thing cannot freeze if it's moving. so move. keep moving."
- Clarissa Pinkola Estes- Women who run with the wolves




Seems I have a re-occuring theme on this blog about competitions. I go through stages of wanting to enter everything that comes my way, but then tend to either forget or plain wuss out. I have missed the cut off for two major awards in the last two months already and upon viewing the shortlisted for both I am as confused as ever as to what the judges are looking for. The images vary from incredible to absolute crap and a few in between, and as always it will be interesting to see what the judges chose as winners.
Now that I am freelance, I am finding myself gravitating towards awards that will win me something other than an ego boost. The chance for a show or a financial rewards that can go back into my work is really my focus now. It's silly to even be over thinking it considering I never fair well in local art awards. But it's been a monumental personal shift now where I'm finding myself more interested in creating new work than caring about what it means for my career. After all, I do it for me in the end anyway.

Also- I realise the photo in this post has photos from Oaxaca which I promised I would stop posting but in my defence one photo is of me and the other a page from the book. All those rolls of film are waiting to be developed as soon as Vanbars opens again so I can get me some perceptol. I have so many photos I want to share on the blog but they will have to wait until the people in the photos give me permission to. Productive times ahoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...