Amy Stein

Peri, Route 64, Kentucky


Canadian Girl, Route 65, Alabama


Route 14, New Mexico


Route 46, Louisiana
all images copyright Amy Stein
The incomparable Amy Stein has a few images the Sydney show No Direction Home. I am tempted to fly to the city to see this show,  have been a fan of Amy's work since I stumbled upon her Domesticated series when I was at Uni. Stein uses the medium of photography to create a world which is both surreal and unsettlingly familiar a lot of which centres around the tension between suburbia and nature. I wrote and deleted a post when I was in LA which went along the lines of saying whenever I am in the US I can instantly see where that soft colour aestheic favoured by so many American photographers come from. The light is dreamy, and the Americans have an earnestness that Australian's just don't have which makes photographing them a different experience. Stein's use of this light and colour adds to the unnerving effect of her work and creates a sense of melancholy.

if you are lucky enough to be in Sydney here are the details

NO DIRECTION HOME
Curated by Stacy Arezou Mehrfar
Featuring work by Alec Soth, Amy Stein, Brian Ulrich, Doug Rickard, Justin James Reed, Naomi Harris and Stacy Arezou Mehrfar
May 24th - June 4th
Depot II Gallery
2 Danks Street
Waterloo NSW, Australia

1 comment:

  1. Wowwww she is amazing...
    I don't know much about photography but her work definitely resonates...

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...